- Never take life too seriously. Humanity is nothing but a giant mess worthy of a good laugh.
- Avoid hatred. It’s an unnecessary burden well worth abandoning.
- Peaceful acts of protest can be the most potent.
- Always have an escape plan, no matter what – even when you’re taking the high road. Some evil folks can’t handle being ignored or failing to intimidate you, and they will come after you. Either be where they can’t find you or end up somewhere for which they will pay dearly for hurting you.
- You’re never alone. Someone always can relate and usually has it worse than you.
- Weird is the new normal. Embrace it and don’t be afraid to express it – so long as it’s totally legal to do so.
- Never bully. You never know who will ignore rule #2.
- Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, except for the deliberate, immoral ones. The wisest people have the most scars.
- Never attack. Only defend. The judge and jury will side with you.
- Be nice. A smile will get you far in life on its own.
Memorize one or two of the above and just wing the rest.
Aimee Mullins, a record-breaker at the Paralympic Games in 1996, she s has built a career as a model, actor and advocate for women, sports and the next generation of prosthetics. A person that has been able to overcome many adversities.
Check out her TED Talk on The Opportunity of Adversity.